Thursday, September 1, 2011

My earthquake...

Hi bloggin' buddies o' mine!! It's  Thursday already...and that means it's time for another fabulous challenge at Mo's DP2 Challenge Blog! Before we get to that, though, I just HAVE to tell you about my earthquake!! Yep...it was my personal earthquake!! Well...not really, but I have no doubt that I experienced it far more intensely than the rest of you folks here on the East Coast!! hehehe!

Last week, while I was chatting on Skype with my sweet friend and DT sistah, Paola (she's in South Africa, y'know!)...all of a sudden, I felt some rumbling and shaking! No...I hadn't eaten refried beans!! My first thought was that the washing machine was in the spin cycle and had become unbalanced. One prob with that logic...I wasn't doing laundry!! So I calmly said, "Paola, I think we're having an earthquake." Now...because there's always a bit of delay with Skype, Paola continued telling me about something...and the rumbling and shaking started to intensify. So I said again (this time not quite so calmly), "Paola, I think we're having an earthquake." About that time I heard a crash...and I yelled..."Paola, we're having an earthquake...I have to go!". So...I ran out of my craftroom and inadvertently left my computer video on...so Paola watched my craftroom shake, rattle, and roll!! Talk about a "birds eye view"! The entire thing lasted less than 30 seconds!

So...there ya go...my first earthquake...and I was so busy running around yelling, "We're having an earthquake" that I didn't have the good sense to stand in a doorway! (I was told that's what a person should do in an earthquake!) The  epicenter was about 40 miles from our house...thankfully we had no real damage! We just lost a couple of knick-knacks...no big deal...I was planning on downsizing anyway!! LOL!


That pile of stuff on the floor used to be on the shelf...in fewer pieces!

So, you're probably hoping that I'll tell you about last week's hurricane too...but I think you've had quite enough excitement for one post! Maybe next time! Right now it's time to talk about this week's challenge at Mo's!! Our very talented friend and DT sistah, Iulia, is our hostess this week! I think she's going to serve some virtual tea and cookies or something! hehehe!! Iulia has chosen this very cooooooool sketch for us to use this week...


Soooooo...here's what I came up with...


Her name is Smith and she's available at Mo's Digi Store HERE. This little cutie reminds me of our granddaughter Sophia. She has curly, curly hair too...no specs, tho. But otherwise, Smith and Soph could be sisters!! I used Very Vanilla, Bordering Blue, and Cherry Cobbler cardstock from Stampin Up...I love the way these three colors complement one another! These DPs are from Basic Grey's "Oxford" collection.


Here's a list of the Copics I used to color this little sweetheart...

E21, 00, 000, 0000: Skin
R20: Cheeks
E29, 25, 23, 21, 50, & Y21: Hair & shoes
B21, 41, & Colorless Blender: Blues (Thanks, Paola, for the tip!)
R89, 85, 83, 81: Burgundy
YR24, 23, 20: Backpack
G24, 21, 20: Grass

I made the clouds by sponging on some of Stampin' Up's Bashful Blue ink. The sentiment is from Whimsy Stamps, the seam binding is Cherry Cobbler (from SU), flowers are from Wild Orchid Crafts, and the pearls are from my stash! That very cool scroll die came from Sizzix.


Are ya still with me?? I know...I bet you're wishing I had served some tea and biscuits right about now!! No worries...you're in the home stretch!! It's time to pop on over to Mo's Challenge Blog so you can drool over all of the gorgeous creations by Iulia & the rest of our talented DT!! Oh...and before I forget...we have a new Guest Designer this month! Please join us in welcoming Elena Gonzalez! You're in for a real treat!!

Then you'll want to start working on your own card or 3D paper project!! Remember, you must use at least one Mo Manning image (available HERE and HERE) to qualify for this week's random drawing for a free Mo Manning digi of your choice!! And...that's it for me kiddos!! Thanks so much for stopping by to visit! Thanks, too, for your lovely comments that boost my ego and make my day!! Have fun crafting, sweet friends! Be safe...I'll see you again soon! Hugs....

19 comments:

Chrissy said...

Shake rattle and roll...horrible things earthquakes, get quite used to them here in New Zealand....Gorgeous card Pat, love the image and fabulous colouring, gorgeous papers, really lovely.

Luv CHRISSYxx

Sheila said...

Hello my sweet DT sistah!! sorry I've been MIA this past couple of weeks, but I'm here now chick to tell you I'm so happy you are safe and sound after all your adventures!!:-).
You know I love your art work darling its awesome as ever!! and this little cutie is too.
Hugs
My sweet friend keep safe!!
Sheila xx

Boxofcolours said...

So glad to hear you're OK after the earthquake!!

What a great card Pat, and I love the papers - I adore anything with pencils and brushes on it.

Hugs
Jane ♥

Christina C. said...

How frightening....I experienced a mini one many years ago in Chicago!
Your card is a visual delight, Pat....absolutely gorgeous!!!!

Dorcas said...

What I want to know is, did your trinkets fall into that neat little pile? LOL Cos if it did you have some SERIOUS little housefairies and need to send some my way, only I would have neat little paper piles. :-)
I love your card, Pat, she's such a cutie!

Flip-Flop Creations said...

I think I would have been running around like Chicken Little too!!
Gorgeous card Pat! Perfect DP combo and your sky is awesome! Glad you are safe now ~jeni:)

Whimcees said...

Hello!

How scary! I am happy that you are safe! Believe it or not, we acutally felt a small earthquake tremor here in this part of WI a couple of years ago - it happened in the middle of the night and I was awake reading and it was confusing and frightening as we don't have that here. The next day those who had slept through it were telling us who hadn't that we were crazy - and then it was in the media! Ha! So there! we told them.

I love your card - your coloring is always awesome! Beautiful!

Wishing you a happy day!

Hugs,

Barbara Diane

Pop's Cards said...

Hi sweetie this is gorgeous love this image, fab colours too, hugs pops x x x

Cathy said...

First let me say, so glad you are okay!!! But I must add, love your beautifully colored card, so perfect but always love to come here for a beautiful card and a good read :) love ya GF!!! glad all is well with ya.

Kathy Bradley said...

Wow, you were definitely lucky that you only had a few knick knacks break and that you and your family are safe. I hope you survived the hurricane just as well!

Your card is so adorable (as always, Pat)! That image is just too cute. I really love all of Mo's images - and you do bring them to life on your cards!

Debbie said...

Oh, Pat!!! This is just FANTASTIC!!!! Smith is just adorable but first and foremost, I am glad you are all right, between the earthquake and Irene I think you've had enough of Mother Nature for the next few years. Stay well my sweet southern friend.

Hugs
Debbie

Elaine L. said...

Those colors are great together! I love the plaid paper, too! Adorable card!

Barb Hardeman said...

So glad to know that you weathered the earthquake AND the hurricane, have your power restored and are crafting by real light again! Your card is precious and I love the eye glasses dp you've used. How adorable. Your coloring is perfection and all your design elements are fabulous. What a super job my friend!
Hugs,
Barb

Ann English said...

Exciting times! Gratefully, all is well.

Your card is incredible!!! I LOVE your coloring and your design work and am thrilled to be on a DT with you though have to say I am a bit intimidated by your amazing work.

Stay safe-let's hope we have no more disasters to report.

Linda said...

Too bad your SKYPE conversation wasn't recorded. I would have loved to seen it! Very scary times here on the East Coast. Glad your adventures have not dampened your sense of humor.

Sandy said...

This card brought a big smile to my face -- Love your design work kid!! Love this kid!! And I absolutely adore this paper. So your house was rocking and rolling - I guess you have your power back? Paula told me she saw your house kinda shaking as you fanny ran out the door. She thought she was watching a reality show on the tele!
XO
Sandy

"Kirby" (KrB) said...

This card is adorable, Pat. I loved the colors, plaids and of course your awesome coloring. I had to buy this image after seeing your card. TFS all the loving ingredients that went into this great card.

Iulia said...

Hey Pat! I told you you should see the bright side: stories to tell...he he! And I really must tell you I felt like reading a good horror novel...lol:) I tried to imagine Paola's horrified figure while you were running around...lol. And yes, I guess everybody knows we have to stay in the door frame but in those moments nobody remembers that:) I experienced one too when I was little and remember father gathered us under a big oak table, said it was safer there:)
Oh, and your card is simply adorable! Amnazing coloring, really fabulous! Love the patterned DP, perfect for a school theme.
Hugs and have a happy week hun!
Iulia

Elena said...

What a cute card. The Image is sooo adorable! Love the embellishment that you used...

LG ELena