Thursday, July 14, 2011

Black & White...PLUS ONE!!

A warm (as in really hot and humid) hello to all of you! That's right...it's in the mid-90's here in Richmond, VA with about a kabillion percent humidity!!! Ugh!! I keep thinking...sooooon my sweet hubby and I will be on the beach in St. Martin drinking pina coladas with cute little umbrellas in them!! So, I'm keeping good thoughts to get me through these hot summer days!!

I hope you all had a great week! I have been coloring and crafting up a storm!! Counting the days until I'm officially retired! 3 weeks from tomorrow...YAY!! Ahhh...but back to this week's challenge at Mo's...

Once again, our talented and creative DT sister, Cathy, has given us our challenge theme. And, let me tell ya...I was seriously challenged! But now that it's done, I quite love the finished product!! Cathy has challenged us all to make a card or paper project using the theme:

Black & white with ONE contrasting color!!
 
Now, I don't know about you, but I think it just seems WRONG to color skin grey!! But, then again, I grew up in the 50's when all photos and television were black & white...with shades of grey! So...that's what I did...I colored a "black & white photo"...but added a touch of my fave color...RED!! Once again, I had to pop on over to Mo's online store and I found this little darlin' called "Come Out and Play"...


What a sweetheart, huh?! And I tell ya, Mo is such a talented artist, isn't she?! I find myself smiling uncontrollably when I'm coloring her images!! True!


The funny thing is that my sister, Dee, and I were just talking about those goofy skates...you know the metal ones that came with a little key that we wore around our necks. Now...I will confess...I never actually skated on those things because I had such big feet! Yep...when I extended the skates big enough to fit my feet, they caved in the middle! LOL!! True story!!


I colored this little cutie with Copics...C7, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0, 00. (C0 & 00 for skin...with a little C1 for shading.). Then I added R27, 24, 22, & 01 for her sneakers and hair bows! Cardstock is Riding Hood Red...and DPs, CS, and ribbon are all from Stampin' Up.The sentiment on the front of the card is from Stamping Bella. Rubies are from my last trip to the Caribbean...nah, just kidding! They're rhinestones, not rubies! LOL! Just checking to see if you're paying attention! hehehehe! Here's a peek at the inside...the "Happy Birthday" sentiment is from Stampin' Up.
 


Pretty simple little card recipe...very few embellies this time! But, you know, things were much simpler back in the 1950's!

OK...now you'll want to pop on over to Mo's Challenge Blog and take a peek at the delightful creations by my very talented Design Teamies! Then...pull out your Black & White papers, colors, etc...and one contrasting color and get busy making your own little somethin' somethin' for this weeks challenge!

Remember, you must use at least one Mo Manning image...no problem, right?! And you must follow this week's theme!! Oh, I almost forgot...one lucky participant (chosen at random) will win a FREE Mo Manning Digital Image!!!! Whooooohoooo!! So many Mo images...and so little time!! Thanks so much for stopping by...have a fabulous week!! Until next time....

34 comments:

Debbie said...

I love your rendition of a black and white photo with this adorable image.. It brings back so many memories, and yes I remember those metal skates i had a pair and I was the one with the key...lol I will have to give this technique a try..I love it and the red so pops it!!! thanks for supplying the colors.

Hugs
Debbie

Christina C. said...

My goodness, Pat, you are one prolific card maker!!!!! I also grew up watching black and white TV and I can tell you that you did a phenomenal job showcasing this adorable "MO" image! The touch of red is brilliant. You did a superb job with this challenge.

Cheryl said...

oh wow hun this really is one fantastic card,love that image,and your detail is just well what can I say amazing,just love it to bits,I too grew up with black and white tv just he he,hugs cheryl xxxx

Marilyn Webb said...

Hi Pat
I love that image, it reminds we of being a kid. Those skates were constantly on my feet, and I was always misplacing the key. Your card is stunning, and I love the pop of red! Such beautiful coloring.
hugs
Marilyn

Kylie said...

OMG Pat! I just spent the last few minutes drooling at all of the amazing new work you've posted these last few days! WOWOWOWOW! You've been a very busy lady! All are outstanding, I love your style :)
Hugs Kylie

Dena said...

I tell ya, she does create the most adorable images!!!! You have made this look like a for real sketch!! Gorgeous Pat! Is ther no end to your talent? haha!
I had a pair of hot pink plastic skates that would slid to size haha! Oh the memories!!!
Hugs, Dena

"Kirby" (KrB) said...

LOVE this card, Pat. Everything about it grabbed me as soon as I saw it. Great entry!

Country Mouse said...

Oh Wow Pat! You did a wonderful job with this challenge!! I love the red, you're right..it just pops! My very first pair of skates were given to me while visiting California. One of them only had 3 wheels! And I still learned to skate with them! LOL

Kelly Neis said...

Pat I love this card, it takes alot of skill to make gray look perfect for skin and you did it. I also like the way you used the red to accent. How great to be retiring soon and a beautiful trip ahead, have fun.

charlene said...

Pat this is one of the cutest cards I have seen lately what an amazing job you have done with the coloring of black and white....
Wow that is great news about getting to retire I have 7 more years at least.....
Big hugs♥

Donna said...

Pat, this card is just darling and the sentiment fits perfectly. I just love it!

Cynthia said...

Wow, this is gorgeous Pat! I haven't tried this technique with Copics .... very intimidating. Hope to give this a challenge a try!

Barb said...

Oh Pat, this is a fantastic card, luv your color combo - stunning!
bARB in Texas

Rhonda Miller said...

this is such a fun card.

Susie said...

This is just to cute!! The answer to the question posed in the sentiment? You get a mulligan *tehehe* (golf term). I was very interested to see how the DT would interpret this challenge. You nailed it!! Perfect in every way. Nice layering, wonderful pattern compliment between dp and stripped bow. And just a hint of color on the main image. I also like the way you finish off "both" panels in the inside. It's these little touches that really make a card stand out in my humble opinion. And the rubies - you're a gem in my book!

Hugs,
Susie ~

Dorcas said...

See, you're so good about following instructions. I just couldn't bear to make gray skin so I didn't. Whoops. So fire me! :-D
Super pretty, Pat and it really does work well, its a gorgeous card!

Erika said...

Hope you're not melting in the heat Pat? Love Mo's images and black & white with a hint of red is fabulous. Stunning card.
Erika. x

Molecraft said...

Boy, you have been busy Pat! This is a stunner, love the colour scheme, it works so well with that fab sketch and great sentiment too!
Helen x

Pops x said...

Hi sweetie, this is just gorgeous,i love this image so much, gorgeous details, big hugs pops x

NGCARDS said...

This is fabulous hun, love the image xxx

Cathy said...

Pat. This is absolutely Perfect. Exactly what I wanted to see Love it. The black and white image and the red skates yes!!!!! Ha Ha Ha I don't do grey skin, I use E0000 for the skin, hey it's my challenge and I can cheat if I wanna. Love it Great job!!!

Grenouille Greetings said...

All of your recent work is beautiful Pat. Thank you so much for sharing. This one really pops. Love your soft greys, striking design and fabulous poppy red! Hugs, Lesley

dj1952 said...

Your card is awesome! I'm planning on using the same three colors. I do love your papers and your "coloring". I also love the sentiment you used also and will probably have to "borrow" it some time. LOL Hugs, dj1952

Elaine L. said...

Just gorgeous, Pat! I don't know why you were worried about this challenge...you rocked it! I love this card!

Sharon Caudle said...

OMG, you killed this challenge, girlfriend!! I love the entire look of this! Your coloring is superb and the papers and design are awesome! LOVE it!!!!
hugs, Sharon

Barb said...

Pat, your black and white "photo" looks like an authentic 50s snapshot! Beautifully colored and the details are gorgeous!

Nicola said...

Well, you've done it again Pat and blown me away with your talent. It's so striking using just the amount of red with the black and white. Love it inside and out and your bow is just fab!
Love Nicola xxx

Iulia said...

Hi sweetie! This is one of those cards which leaves no room for commenting because it's just perfect. You've been really precise in following the theme with grey skin and all- I just couldn't do that with my baby girl- lol I guess nobody would have wanted it:)) But with this one here, it's a different story because it really takes you back in the fifties and I really cannot tell exactly why. Maybe the patterns, the image, that newspaper print or the few embellies in the inside as you say... Oh, I know,maybe those Caribbean rubies...hahaha:)
The thing is that this is one exceptional card and I just love it!
Love, Iulia

Cheryl said...

I just love this card. It is so retro and as always your coloring is exceptionally beautiful.
Cheryl

Jenée said...

This card leaves me speechless. I cannot think of enough superlatives (nor ones strong enough) to describe this wonderful card. Your b&w coloring is excellent, well executed and . . . OK, I said I cannot think of strong enough words. Just PERFECT will have to do!

Candy said...

Fabulous work Pat!!
Perfect colouring :o)
Glad to see you attempted the skin in black and white as well.
It's a gorgeous card!
Hugs, Candy

Barb Hardeman said...

Three weeks until retirement? Woohoo! Won't it feel wonderful to decide what you are going to do with your day? This card is adorable. Not your first with this type of challenge, but I'm loving your wee image. I DID wear those kinds of roller skates and the pavement wasn't very smooth either. Love the red you added to the image! Cute as a button....hugs...Barb

Sheryl said...

Cute,Cute,Cute!!!Lovely card!

Happiness, Sheryl

Michele said...

Such a gorgeous card Pat. Love the colours and the image. Hugs Michele x