Monday, May 19, 2014

Tutorial: Twisted Easel Card

Hello everyone!! I thought I'd post a little tutorial on how I make "Twisted Easel" cards. They're super easy . . . and fun . . . and so much fun to give and receive!! Be forewarned . . . there are LOTS of pics!! OK . . . So . . . here we go . . .
  1. Gather supplies. For this card, I'm using Mo Manning's "Ruby" available HERE in Mo's online store.
  2. I always make my cards 5.5 x 5.5 inches square. (If you prefer 6 x 6" cards, just adjust accordingly.) You'll need two pieces of card stock. One that is 5.5 x 11 inches. The other that is 5.5 x 5.5 inches. Take the larger of your two pieces and score it at 5.5 inches. Fold this in half. 
  3. Now comes the tricky part. Open up your folded card stock. Decide which way you want your card front to face . . . and score one side of your card from corner to corner (on the diagonal) . . . 
  4. Fold on the diagonal. (Are ya with me so far? Great!!) . . .
  5. You've just created your Twisted Easel Card "base"! See? Cool, huh?! Now I set that aside. Don't worry, we'll come back to it momentarily . . . 
  6. Next . . . I begin decorating the front of my card. So, take the 5.5 x 5.5 inch square piece of card stock and decorate just like you would any other card front! (NOTE: I always use Score Tape/Sookwang Tape when assembling my cards.)
  7. Here's the front of my card . . . semi-decorated! (I'll add more shortly. You'll see!) . . . 
  8. Now you'll want to attach the front of your card. This is the crucial step!! . . . 
  9. Once again, check to be sure you know which way you want your card front to face. Then position your partially decorated card front to the appropriate corner of your base. Double check before securing to base!! . . . 
  10. It should look like this when you've completed this step! . . . 

  11.  Next I decorate the card base . . . often times I'll even decorate the inside and back surfaces (this mostly depends on whether or not I can find matching/coordinating papers!) . . . 
  12. Here's how it looks from the front . . . 
  13. Next . . . I attach the sentiment on the base using foam dimensionals. They raise the sentiment up a bit so it can act as a "door stop" for the folded top of the card! Soooooo clever, eh?!
  14. Okey dokey!! Time to add my colored image and embellish! This is my favorite part!!
  15. Here's what this cutie looks like from the other side . . .
  16. And, last but not least, an "artsy" angle . . .
And there you have it! A darling little "Twisted Easel" card!! I hope you enjoyed this little tutorial . . . and I hope you'll try making one of these (if you haven't already!) Thanks so much for stopping by! See you soon! Hugs . . . .